New Hampshire

By Burton F. Jablin

New Hampshire's senatorial race between incumbent John Durkin, the Democrat, and Republican Warren Rudman has two distinguishing features: it has been extremely bitter, at both a political and personal level; and it has been extremely inexpensive in comparison to most.

The feud between Durkin and Rudman goes back to 1974, when, in a dispute over the results of the election that first sent Durkin to the Senate, Attorney General Rudman, a member of the state ballet commission, ruled against him. Durkin won the rematch with little trouble. In 1976 Gerald R. Ford wanted to appoint Rudman chairman of the Interstate Commerce Commission, but the Senate never considered the nomination. New Hampshire Republicans remain convinced that Durkin, despite his repeated denials, prevented the nomination from proceeding.

The candidates' major disagreements arise over money, with Rudman attacking Durkin for his acceptance of $100,000 from out-of-state labor unions during his 1974 campaign. Durkin collected another $100,000 this time around, prompting charges from Rudman that his Democratic opponent is the tool of organized labor. Rudman refuses to accept any donations from out-of-state political-action committees.

Because of the emphasis on campaign financing, both contenders have tried to minimize the costs of their campaigns. When all is said and done, each plans to have spent about $350,000, making New Hampshire's the least costly Senate seat in the country.

On issues, the candidates often seem to echo the platform of the party to which they do not belong. Durkin, for example, backs a constitutional amendment to ban abortion, while Rudman is against it. More true to his party, Durkin opposes oil price deregulation and attacks the oil companies every chance he gets--a popular thing to do in New Hampshire, whose residents pay more for home heating oil than citizens in many other states. Rudman favors deregulation but also suggests using a windfall profits tax on the oil companies to help pay the cost of heating oil for the poor.

The outcome of the election may hinge on voters' perceptions of the candidates' personalities, which are strikingly dissimilar. While Rudman is smooth and jocular on the campaign trail, Durkin has a reputation for brusqueness. As of late last week, the race still appeared to be a toss-up, although some observers gave Durkin a slight edge.