Ernst Carries Frosh Football To 27-18 Win at Holy Cross

By Marco L. Quazzo

Halfback Steve Ernst broke a 68-yd. run with four minutes left in the game to launch the freshman football team to a 27-18 victory over the Holy Cross junior varsity in Worcester yesterday.

Seeing no hole up the middle, Ernst spun outside and found daylight, sprinting down the sideline for the winning touch-down. "It was an amazing run, and it sealed the victory for us," offensive back-field coach Jay Foley said after the game.

At Moments

The yardlings opened the scoring with a Paul Sharon run but trailed, 12-7, as the half approached. The squad regained the momentum when kicking specialist Jim Villanueva unloaded a spectacular 47-yd. field goal with two minutes left. Gary De Jesus then gave the Crimson a 17-12 halftime lead by taking a loose ball into the endzone after Mike Dixon had blocked a Holy Cross punt.

Marching to Jerusalem

But the Crusaders did not give up. After a Villanueva near-miss of a 49-yarder, Holy Cross capitalized on a Harvard fumble by driving 39 yds. for a touch-down. Their effort for a two-point conversion failed, leaving the Crusaders with a precarious one-point lead.

The Multiflex Man

The final comeback belonged to the Crimson. With quarterback Chuck Columbo taking charge of the offense, Harvard drove downfield to the Holy Cross one-yard line, only to be denied on three consecutive running plays. Villanueva nevertheless put the Crimson ahead with a 12-yd. field goal, and Ernst iced the game minutes later.

Wall St.

The victory upped the freshman football team's record to a perfect 5-0. Only the Yale game Nov. 21 separates the squad from an unbeaten, untied season.