Yale Faculty Wins 10.5% Salary Increase

By Daniel H. Winograd

NEW HAVEN, Conn.--Yale University this week announced salary increases of 10.5 per cent for senior faculty and 13.5 per cent for junior faculty.

The announcement followed demands by professors for substantial salary increases, including a statement by 50 faculty members expressing "grave concern" over the "rapid and severe erosion of faculty compensation."

Professor Harry Miskimin, president of the Yale chapter of the American Association of University Professors, said yesterday the increase was a step in the right direction toward maintaining acceptable salary levels. He emphasized, however, that the increase does not keep pace with the rise in the cost of living and that Yale's salary scale is currently 20 per cent below that of other Ivy League schools.

During the last seven years, the cost of living index rose 67.8 per cent, tuition rose 77.8 per cent, but faculty salaries increased only 33 per cent, he said.

Yale tuition currently is $8200 and will be $9110 in 1980-81.

Salaries this year for assistant professors range from $14,500-$23,000, associate professors, $20,000-$29,000, and full professors, $25,000-$46,500.

A spokesman for the Yale Corporation said President A. Bartlett Giamatti felt a need to raise faculty salaries because they must remain competitive. However, the spokesman said the corporation's primary concern is to balance the budget by 1981 and end the deficit that has plagued Yale since 1970.