Militants Block U.N. Meeting Pending Khomeini's Approval

The Real World

TEHRAN--Militants holding the U.S. Embassy in Tehran yesterday refused a new bid for a meeting between the U.N. commission on Iran and the American hostages.

The militants said they were awaiting confirmation of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini's approval for such a meeting.

The Tehran newspaper Azadeghan yesterday quoted Foreign Minister Sadegh Ghotbzadeh as saying "communists and Zionists" were trying to foil the U.N. mission.

Iranian President Abolhassen Bani-Sadr said Tuesday Khomeini had given him and the Revolutionary Council, which he heads, jurisdiction over the possible meeting. Bani-Sadr added that he and the council had decided the meeting should take place.

A spokesman for the militants said yesterday, "Our position has not changed. We will not let the meeting take place."

Carter spokesmen said recently the administration wants the five U.N. commissioners--international lawyers and diplomats--to visit the hostages to determine their condition and ensure that all are still in the embassy.

Militant spokesmen said recently that such a visit would be turned to America's propaganda advantage.