Golfers Take Seventh in Ivies

Play Just Not Up to Par In Ithaca

By Constance M. Laibe

The Crimson golfers left the tee Thursday with victories over Williams and Holy Cross but disappeared in the rough in the Ivy League Championships held at Cornell Saturday and Sunday.

Princeton outshot the competition with a 931, 29 strokes ahead of second-place Cornell. Only Brown trailed Harvard's final 1006.

"It was a disaster," captain Jim Dales said.

Poor

The long course, wide rolling greens, and the absence of No. 1 player Glen Alexander all contributed to the Crimson's poor showing, Dales said.

All of the Ivy League competitors were challenged by the 7000-yard course designed by Robert Trent Jones for the Cornell University Gold Club.

"Out of 120 rounds, there were no more than 25 scores in the 70s," John Thompson said. "Basically, the course just howled at us."

Coach Val Belmonte called the match "embarassing," but he did not blame the results on any particular factor. "We just didn't play good golf," he said. "The kids didn't shoot the games they normally shoot and were really disappointed.

Better

Both Dales and Belmonte predict a better showing in Thursday's New England Championships, which are also the District One qualifying rounds for NCAA gold championships. "We can get it together," Belmonte said. "School puts a lot of pressure on everyone, but if they can just lock it out and concentrate they will do well."

Dales said the Crimson faces better odds at the New Englands. "Princeton's not going to be there, so if we play well we have a good chance," he said.