Benefit Concert Proves Successful

Assembly Plans Annual 'Spring Weekend'

By Joanne Amsterdamska

Responding to the success of Saturday's benefit concert, which featured the Pousette Dart Band and Livingston Taylor, the Student Assembly decided to hold the event annually.

"We know that we at least broke even and we might have made some profit. We still don't know the exact amount," Leslie A. Cornfeld '81, chairman of the Assembly, said yesterday. Proceeds from the concert will go to the American Cancer Society.

Cornfeld estimated that between 1500 and 1700 people attended the event at the Bright Hockey Center.

She added that many tickets were sold at the door and at area schools. "That's really what saved us," she added. Small advance sales almost forced the Assembly to cancel the concert.

"The first time is always the hardest, but since this concert turned out to be a success, it will definitely become an annual spring tradition," Cornfeld said.

The Assembly is considering inviting The Marshall Tucker Band or Boz Scaggs to appear next year. Cornfeld said that several businesses have already expressed an interest in sponsoring another concert.

Michael Urfirer '81, chairman of the Student and Social Services Committee and coordinator of the concert, said yesterday that he will write a guide to putting on rock concerts at Harvard to be used in the future by other organizations.

"It's very difficult to coordinate all the different departments at the school which are involved. The guide will explain how to get things done," Urfirer said.

The Spring Weekend also included a University-wide picnic on the Business School fields and Harvard's first student-faculty softball game. About 500 students turned out for fried chicken and sunshine.

Later, the student team defeated its more experienced opposition on the diamond. Undergraduate sluggers had little trouble with pitcher James Q. Wilson, Shattuck Professor of Government and his mates.

"At one point it was 12-2 but then it got boring so we stopped keeping score," Kenneth Levine '83 said after the game