Revision

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I write to correct a number of serious errors of fact which occur in the article on the History Department in the Crimson of April 28. First of all, we have hired two new assistant professors of American history, not as the article states, "two new professors and three assistant professors..."

Secondly, I did not say that we expect to make a senior appointment in modern European history next month. If such an appointment is made it cannot take effect before September 1, 1981. However, there will be a new full professor of European history here in September, Simon Schema, currently of Oxford.

Thirdly, there are two references to an appointment in ancient European history. What we are looking for is a Medieval Europe historian. We hope that appointment may take place as of September of 1981.

Lastly, there is a comment about the over-abundance of large lecture courses in the department. I should like to point out that in the current catalog there are 31 courses which are listed as a conference course or limited enrollment. In addition, we shall be adding a number of discussion courses in the fall, but it is simply not accurate to say that there is not a wide range of conference courses open to undergraduates. Not all of these are offered every year, but they are evenly distributed during the time of a student's concentration. Wallace T. MacCaffrey   Chairman