Shifting of Harkness Workers Angers Dining Hall Employees

By Laurence S. Grafstein

A decision to replace 22 food service employees at the Law School's Harkness Commons dining hall with outside labor has angered members of Local 26, the union representing the University's kitchen workers.

Although the Harkness Commons dining workers will not be laid off--University Food Services will place them in other areas at the beginning of the academic year--some union members charge that the action represents a "union-busting" effort by the University, and label the move a dangerous precedent.

Edward W. Powers, associate general counsel for employee relations, said yesterday the decision to bring in Daka Foods employees was motivated primarily by economic concerns. "Harkness has been running a large deficit, and the Law School has had to bear the brunt of it," he said.

"If the administration can break up one unit, then it can break up any unit," Edward B. Childs, chief shop steward for Harvard's Local 26 chapter, said yesterday, adding, "There's not one union member who's not upset."

The sizable deficit at Harkness stems from the wages and benefits the University pays it workers, which are are much higher than what other food services offer, Powers said.

"It has nothing to do with union-busting. It's difficult to expect Harkness to compete with other area establishments and pay one-third more, especially without people under contract to eat there," he added.

Powers pointed to cafeterias at the Kennedy School, the Medical School, the Divinity School and the Science Center as examples of other dining establishments using outside labor.

Childs accused the administration of planning the move to correspond with contract talks and the dispersal of Local 26 members after Harvard dining halls closed May 28. "The University caught us at a weak spot," Childs said.

But Powers said the action was taken at the end of the school calendar to facilitate integration of the displaced employees into other areas for the start of the next academic year.

The University and Local 26 recently concluded contract negotiations, with the union membership ratifying the offer of a three-year deal including successive 10-, 9-and 8-per-cent wage increases a week ago.

Two-Sided

The Harkness dispute caused an uproar among the dining workers in the ratification meeting, but the membership voted to accept the 10-9-8 by a tally of 73-55.

"We fought like hell to oppose the move, but at least the Harkness workers still will have a job," Fred Walden, vice president of Local 26, said yesterday, adding, "The Law School really kicked the employees in the butt.