Cornell Upsets Brown for First Win

Yale Dumps Columbia, 48-17

By Michael Bass

There is Yale, and then there are the rest.

While the Elis continued to roll on down the highway, yucking it up, 48-17, over Columbia in New York Saturday, the rest of the Ivy League wallowed in mediocrity.

Previously winless Cornell, which looked pitiful during last week's 27-10 collapse before Harvard, marched into Providence and upset Brown, 14-9.

Big Play

The big play was the difference for the Big Red. First, sophomore tailback Derrick Harmon, who had a 43-yd. run last week against the Crimson, scampered 56 yards in the first quarter for a 7-0 Cornell lead. And after an offsides penalty forced the Bruins to kick off again to start the second half, Cornell running back Mark DiNunzio took the ball at the six and raced 94 yards to clinch the game.

Cornell, which now has a 1-2 league record (1-4 overall) had not beaten Brown since 1972. The Bruins are now 1-3 in the Ivies, 1-4 overall.

Small Apple

In New York, the Elis outran, outpassed and outpunted the Lions, to up their league record to 2-0 and remain unbeaten in five games overall.

As they do every week, the names Rich Diana, Curtis Grieve and John Rogan popped up most often in the Yale scoring column. Diana, who rushed for 131 yards on 25 carries, scored three touchdowns and, even if he doesn't play another down, could be the Ivy Player of the Year.

Double

Wide receiver Grieve caught two touchdown passes--one from Rogan and one from back-up quarterback Joe Dufek--helping the Elis to a 35-3 lead early in the third quarter.

In the only other game of the weekend (Penn was idle because of a Thanksgiving Day game with the University of Richmond), Army ransacked Princeton, 34-0, at West Point.

Happy Home

The game, which highlighted homecoming weekend for the Cadets, renewed a gridiron rivalry which dates back to 1893, after the two schools went 25 years without meeting. The Tigers are probably ready to wait 25 more for the next one.

Tailback Gerald Walker, who disgraces Ivy defenses week after week, moved into fifth place on the all-time Army rushing list, running for 172 yards and two touch-downs. Walker had previously topped the 150-yd. mark against Harvard and Brown.