New Patent Policy at Brown

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--A new patent policy intended to encourage professors to design marketable inventions goes into effect this month at Brown University, the Brown Daily Herald reported last week.

In exchange for a share of the rights to their inventions, Brown will take over the paperwork for researchers applying for patents.

A 1980 law allowing universities to seek rights to inventions developed at their school prompted the new policy, Joe Loferski, associate dean of the graduate school, said, adding that previously the university made little money from professors' inventions.

Under the new policy, Brown will be entitled to a percentage of the profits from any patent awarded to a Brown professor.

Previously, professors had little incentive to file for a patent, because it costs from $2000 to 15,000 to get one, Loferski said.

The new patent policy also encourages professors to attract aid from industry, taking advantage of a recent tax act that provides incentives for industry to support university research, Tom Wunderlich, director of research administration, said.

Recommended Articles

Harvard Wins Patent For Mice in Canada
In a landmark decision that opens the door for genetically engineered organisms to be patented in Canada, an Ottawa court
The Great Patent Grab
Large sums of federal research money pour into Harvard annually, financing everyone from accelerator specialists to zoologists. The recipients hire
PATENTS AND FEDERAL MONEY
To The Editors of the Harvard CRIMSON: Your editorial entitled The Great Patent Grab presented a onesided and incomplete description
PATENTS CONNECTED WITH PUBLIC HEALTH FORBIDDEN
In order to guard against repetitions of the Drinker respirator controversy of last year, the Harvard Corporation yesterday announced that
PATENT POLICY ADOPTED
Labeling as undesirable the patenting by members of the faculty of discoveries or inventions bearing on matters of health and
BAGLEY ANNOUNCES GEOG. INST. CHANGES
Colonel James W. Bagley, lecturer on Aerophotography, announced yesterday that two main changes have taken place at the Institute of