Princeton Defense Nails Door on Booters, 1-0

Booters Drop Third Straight Match Against Methodical Tiger Attack

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

The Princeton Tigers proved themselves ungracious guests Saturday, handing the Harvard men's soccer team a 1-0 loss at the Business School field.

The booters had hospitably postponed the start of the game 80 minutes to allow the Princeton squad to regroup. A van carrying 12 of the Tigers crashed through a guard rail Friday in East Hartford, Conn., seriously injuring one player and stranding the others in Connecticut for the night.

After the opening minutes of the match, it was clear that 80 minutes was plenty. The Tiger attack was skillful and methodical, often stringing together more than 10 passes and effectively spreading the Crimson defense.

Jackpot

The constant Princeton pressure paid off at 64:26, when midfielder Tom Poz drove an 18-yard right footer past charging goalkeeper Peter Walsh.

Much of the Princeton assault had been coming from the right side of the pitch, drawing the defense out of position. Tiger forward James Bowen took a pass in the center of the field and quickly switched play to the left toward an unmarked Poz, providing the sophomore a solo run at Walsh.

"The defense played superbly," coach George Ford said after the match, adding that the Tigers "took the chance that was given to them."

With Princeton dominating midfield play, the Crimson attack was virtually non-existent--the booters ended the match with just two shots on goal and no corner kicks.

Forwards Mauro Keller-Sarmiento, Lance Ayrault, and Richard Berkman demonstrated more than enough skill to get by their marker, but receiving the ball near the half stripe, they were unable to cover the 35 yards and beat several other Tiger defenders to take a shot.

The lack of halfback support that has haunted the booters all season was the difference in Saturday's match. The Princeton backline easily intercepted most of the long passes from deep in the Crimson end--the hallmark of the Harvard attack--and quickly redirected them into the Tiger offense.

"Our problem is at times we're gentlemen," Ford said of the booters' lack of midfield play, adding that his chargers "could be more aggressive."

Although he said he ended up "one save short," Walsh made several acrobatic stops in another solid game in the nets. Sweeper Peter Sergienko roamed the defense for 90 minutes clearing nearly every pass that strayed through the rest of the lineback.

The loss leaves the Crimson winless in Ivy play, with four defeats. The overall record stands at 2-5-2, with six matches remaining. To qualify for the opening round of the NCAA tournament, six wins are surely a necessity.