Tiger Stickwomen Blank Crimson, 2-0

To say that the offense looked bad would be giving it too much credit; it was non-existent. The Harvard field hockey team was stifled, 2-0, by Princeton Saturday morning on a soggy Soldiers Field.

The stickwomen spent most of the morning on defense, taking only three shots in the first half and none the second. They were unable to sustain any offensive pressure, while the Tigers took a total of 16 shots on the Crimson net.

"We shut down the Harvard passing, which meant that they couldn't get the ball near our goal," Princeton coach Betty Logan said. The Tigers did a superb job bottling up the middle of the field and making it difficult for the Crimson to pass, particularly in the second half.

Transitory

It was the transition from defense to offense that killed the Crimson. The team did a good job covering the Tiger forwards, but once Harvard got possession of the ball, it lost it at midfield.

From the beginning of the game. Princeton dominated. The first Tiger tally came with 11:16 left in the first half. Forward Susan McCarter took the ball in the corner and passed it to teammate Martha Russo, who smacked it into the upper right hand corner of the net before goalie Juliet Lamont had a chance to respond.

The second half was just one Princeton short corner after another. The Tigers had 15 corners in the second period, and at one point took five consecutive corner shots in the space of a minute.

Washington, D.C.

Princeton finally capitalized on a short corner with 8:24 left in the contest. McCarter took a pass from the corner and then slammed the ball by nont's outstretched leg.

Lamont turned in another fine performance with 12 saves. She was especially effective when coming out of the net to cover potential Tiger scorers. Sweeper Beth Mullen also did a good job backing Lamont up, repeatedly rushing into the goal to stop a shot that got by Lamont.

The team as a whole, however, did not look good, This was the squad's second straight shut out fourth straight loss. The Crimson's record now stands at 3-7-1 overall and 1-4 in the Ivy League. The Tigers are now 4-1 in the Ivies, one game behind first-place Penn.

THE NOTEBOOK: It may have seemed that Princeton was playing with more players, and for a while it was, when link Lilli Pew came out of the game thinking she had been subbed for when she hadn't been.