Mauro Keller-Sarmiento

On or Off the Field, Poetry in Motion

By John Beilenson

As Mauro Keller-Sarmiento approaches, you are at once struck by the way he moves. Graceful, and fluid, the Adams House senior dodges tray-laden classmates with an ease that is rarely found in food lines around the campus.

And just as easily as he can swing around that woman who decides at the last second to put some croutons on her salad, on the soccer field, Mauro can beat that defender who has come up to steal the ball or break his shins.

As one of Harvard's leading scorers over the last four years. Keller-Sarmiento (5-8, 135 pounds), has often been marked two or three on one, but taking the ball away from a player with such a strong sense of body control at the game isn't always easy.

International

Born in West Germany. Keller-Sarmiento was "playing soccer since I could walk," allowing him to gain what he calls "an intuition for the game."

While living in Argentina and different parts of Western Europe as a diplomat's son, Mauro played some organized soccer for the International American schools that he attended, but much of his soccer education was much more informal.

"I was always playing with my brothers. There are four of us so it was an easy pick-up game," he said.

When he came to Harvard as a freshman, he was quickly surprised at the game he found here.

"I was impressed, or shocked probably, by the intensity and the toughness of play. It's not great soccer, but it's a very physical game."

"I was mostly impressed, though, by my teammates. People had told me that soccer didn't exist in the states, but there are some very good players here and around the league." he said.

As a freshman, Mauro was used almost exclusively on the wing, a position he had not played extensively before.

"I used to play mostly midfield, but it was not a difficult switch. Wing fit my abilities. I wasn't really strong enough to play the middle here, and I was quick enough to play on the wing."

For most players, changing from the middle of the field to the outside, where movement of the ball is extremely important, might pose a problem. For Mauro, though, graceful adaptation is one of his strongest suits.

This year, interestingly enough, Coach George Ford has moved Mauro back to his original position, center midfield, and although to all observers he has played well, giving the booters needed control in the middle of the field, this season has been ironically his most difficult.

"It's been our most frustrating year. We thought we would do at least as well as last year (10-4-1)." said the little Argentinian. "I've always wanted three things from playing soccer--enjoying myself, having a good time with the guys, and winning. This year the third one hasn't been there."

What's Next

This weekend, Keller-Sarmiento will put on the Harvard crimson for the last time, marking the end of a career that has boasted 21 goals, 16 assists and All-Ivy honors, and also the commencement of a life that will not include organized soccer.

"Soccer here has been a very positive experience." Sarmiento said. "If is sad that it ends, but I have a lot of other things to do."

Here he doesn't pause or doesn't hesitate, he just sort of changes the channel as smooth as ever, and begins talking about his future--both short and long range. A government thesis on the relationship between multinational companies and the Argentinian government is first on the agenda, as well as organizing activities as president of the Italian Club (he speaks four languages).

In the spring, Mauro plans to play some soccer in informal leagues around Cambridge and gain some on-the-job experience doing research for an international business in the area.

Like many other seniors, he doesn't think he has really taken advantage of all there is to offer culturally and otherwise in Boston. "With my afternoons free, it will be nice to go see a museum or drive into the country somewhere," he said.

Mauro's next three years are to some extent already mapped out for him by the Argentinian government.

"In Argentina you must do a year of military service, so I'll be going back there," Keller-Sarmiento said. "After that I'll probably work there for a year and a half and then come back to the states for business school or perhaps to study government. And also to play some alumni games against my brothers," he adds.

Even as Mauro looks to the future, if just an afterthought, soccer is there.

"I think I'll always play soccer--in pick-up games or in clubs," he says. "Just like Americans always say 'let's throw it around,' I'll always say let's kick it around."