Demo Club Woes

By Leah D. Rush

Financial troubles have forced the Harvard Democratic Club (HDC) to postpone the December issue of its periodical, Perspective, club officials said yesterday.

The paper, now scheduled to appear again in February, has been postponed because an advertiser withdrew its business. Richard W. Painter '84, Perspective editor, said yesterday. He declined to identify the advertiser. "It's not only the loss of this advertising but a general lack of funds." Jess A. Velona '83, president of HDC, said yesterday.

The club could print Perspective if it used $300 in dues from the 100 HDC members along with $150 in profits from the October 26 issue of Perspective, which focused on the Cambridge elections and received political advertising, but the club is saving dues for other expenses. Andrew G. Berg '84, treasurer of HDC, said yesterday.

The paper's staff, which is currently forming a business board, is planning to apply for grants from about 20 organizations and to solicit advertising from political organizations and businesses, Painter said.

The Salient, a bi-weekly rival paper printed by the Harvard-Radcliffe Conservative Club, received an $8000 grant from the Institute of Educational Affairs in October. "There has always been more money floating around in conservative circles to finance this kind of thing," Velona said. "This may change as liberals organize to combat the new right and the Reagan administration," he added.