Women Swimmers Top Eagles; Calvert, Zimic Lead the Way

By John J. Nicholas

Led by ironwoman Shelby Calvert, the women's swim team defeated Boston College 78-62 yesterday at B.C., in spite of a team virus that knocked three Crimson starters out of the lineup.

Ace backstroker Kris Isackson, and juniors Anita Rival and Jeanne Floyd were unable to make the trip to Chestnut Hill, but Calvert--a recent transfer from West Point--more than made up for the loss, pacing the Crimson with victories in the 500-yd. free (5:19.15), the 200-yd. free (2:08), and the 100-yd. free (56:62).

It takes more than one swimmer to win a meet though, and coach Vicki Hays cited the team's overall depth and attitude as the key to their victory. "This meet was challenging because with so many swimmers out, we had to switch people around at the last moment," she said.

Harvard got off to a fast start in the 200-yd. medley, when the team of Mary Rentoumis. Susan Kim. Terri Frick, and Diane Smith set a new school record of 1:55.64. But the time wasn't fast enough to defeat the Eagles.

The Crimson immediately regained the momentum, though winning three out of the next four races, which thrust them into the lead they held for the rest of the meet.

Paying the way for Harvard was sophomore Debbie Zimic, who placed first in the 200-yd. IM (2:13.46) and the 100-yd. IM (1:03:36), freshman Diane Smith who took first in the 50-yd. free (26:01) and freshman Rentoumis who captured first in the 100-yd. backstroke (1:07:07).

B.C. never threatened after the first few events, and the 25 or so Eagle fans who attended the meet had little to cheer about except for the performance of freshman Lina Dickson, who posted outstanding first place finishes in the 50-and 100-yd. breaststroke.

The Crimson also dominated the diving events with junior Adriana Holy finishing first in the one-meter competition, and senior co-captain Pam Stone--back from a shoulder injury--taking first in the three meter contest. The other injured co-captain, senior Maureen Gildea, did not participate in the meet, and will be undergoing exploratory surgery next week.

Hays said the victory was indicative of the team's rigorous and diversified training practices. Harvard's swimmers practice all four strokes--breast, free, back, and butterfly--and swim them over both long and short distances, which has enabled the team thus far to compensate for the loss of several key players, Shelby, Zimic, Cary Mazzome and Gwen Gorman all swam in events for the first time, placing first (500-yd. free), first (200 IM), second (100 IM), and fourth (50 back) respectively.