Republican Club elects Officers Amidst Claims of Impropriety

By Jennifer L. Wittner

Amid accusations that candidates had recruited new members solely for the purposes of voting in their favor, members of the Harvard Republican Club last night elected John A. Hawkins '82 of Quincy House president for the coming year.

Meeting in the Boylston Auditorium, about 50 club members also elected Dennis C. Shea '83 of Winthrop House as vice-president, John Manning '82 of Quincy House as treasurer, and Greg J. Gross '83 of Quincy House as Secretary. All assume office immediately, Michael T. Kerr '81, outgoing president, said yesterday.

Gerrymandering

A member of the Club said that he felt that "numerous people who appeared to have joined the Republican Club" at the behest of certain candidates "solely for the purpose of voting for these candidates" were present at the meeting.

"This isn't illegal--it's not against the bylaws--but I happen to think this is highly unethical," he said, adding that he felt that the presidential election was involved.

"This is an annual occurrence," James H. Mann '81-2, another club member, said yesterday. He added that factions rotate from House to House. "I think it's extremely educational because it's old fashioned ward politics and thus retains a certain exotic interest for those of us born in the suburbs," Mann said.

Kerr denied that any such practice had taken place.

Hawkins said that he was a three-year member of the club who in the past year has served as club director of publicity. He added that his other experience includes work in the Reagan-Bush campaign and a three year stint as "patrol leader of my boy scout troop."

"The first thing I'll devote my attention to is the Washington D.C. trip" that the Republican Club is planning for April, Hawkins said, adding that his second concern would be with the speakers' series organized by the Club.

Hawkins added that he doesn't feel that the Club "should have more members, but that we should do more with the members we have."