Eizenstat, Former Adviser to Carter, Will Teach Mini-Course at K-School

By Paul M. Barrett

Stuart E. Eizenstat, who served as domestic affairs adviser to former President Jimmy Carter, said yesterday he will teach a mini-course at the Kennedy School of Government beginning in late March or April.

Eizenstat's announcement follows that of Hedley Donovan, a senior political adviser to Carter, who also said last week he will teach a half-semester course at the K-School this spring. A third Carter aide, Anne Wexler, who served as chief White House liaison to special interest groups, said recently she is discussing a temporary post for this year with school officials.

Albert Carnesale, chairman of the school's faculty appointments committee, declined last week to confirm appointments for either Eizenstat or Donovan, but said K-school officials "have talked about and talked with" all three former Carter administration members.

Graham T. Allison Jr. '62, dean of the K-School, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Long-Range Plans

Saying he hopes to remain at the K-School after this semester "as long as a one-day-a-week arrangement proves mutually agreeable." Eizenstat said he has already planned approximately eight seminars on the making of federal domestic policy. He added that he turned down an offer of a short-term Institute of Politics fellowship to leave himself the option of staying beyond this semester as an instructor and to allow him to continue his law practice in Washington, D.C.

Roger Porter, assistant professor of Public Policy, will join Eizenstat in leading the mini-course, which will focus on case studies from the Nixon, Ford and Carter administrations. Eizenstat has harshly criticized President Reagan's plans to dismantle many of the domestic programs established under Carter, calling the Republican's proposals "a fundamentally incorrect policy that redistributes income upwards."

Although he said he would not restrict admission to his course, Eizenstat explained that he "is looking for only the serious student of government--probably on the graduate level."

Donovan described his course as "one investigating role of the press in American politics and culture," adding that he hopes to attract prospective lawyers, scientists and public servants in addition to those interested in journalism.

If she decides to leave her Washington, D.C., public relations firm to teach at Harvard, Wexler said she will offer a seminar examining the role of special interest groups in public policy making.

Since the Reagan administration's takeover in January, Eizenstat has opened a Washington office of the law firm of Powell, Goldstein, Frazer and Murphy--the partnership he worked for in Atlanta before joining the Carter staff.