Nun Calls El Salvador Crisis A 'Crucifixion' of Christiens

Because of the political turmoil in their country, El Salvadorans are suffering a crucifixion comparable to that of Christ, Sister Magee Cappelli, a member of the Catholic Connection, said yesterday in a speech at the Science Center.

About 50 people attended Cappelli's lecture, which took place on the second and final day of Harvard's "Christ V. Christianity" conference.

"The people in El Salvador identify with Christ as a sufferer: today Christ is suffering in that country," Cappelli said.

Cappelli noted the danger of the Gospel's political consequences, explaining that seven Archbishops have been killed in El Salvador.

The dilemma facing Christians in El Salvador is whether to answer violence with violence and how to reconcile their decision with basic Christian values, Cappelli said.

She added that although Christians were asked not to respond with violence, ten leading Catholic intellectuals signed a declaration backing the leftist insurrection.

"People have to follow their consciences," Cappelli said.

The conference aimed to "present clear and credible views about Christ, not about Christianity, and to unify the different Christian groups at the University." Baird M. Smith '81, chairman of the committee organizing the conference said. The conference was the first opportunity for the various fellowships to work together, Smith, added.

Absent Voice

"Though there are many prominent campus groups, the Christian voice has been noticeably absent," Smith said.

The organizers noted that the rise of the Moral Majority and the revival of morality under the guise of religion have lead to an abundance of misconceptions about Christianity. The program was designed to clarify the distinction between the presentation and the person of Christ.

"People never see Christ but Christianity," Smith said.

The final lecture "Love Amidst Diversity and Opposition" provided the solution to the problem of differences among Christian groups. "The person of Christ, with whom each of us should have a personal relationship is a greater uniting force than any differences," Smith said.