Layoffs Make School Staff Morale Low

Teacher morale in the Cambridge city schools is low because of uncertainty over proposed teacher layoffs, according to a study conducted by the School Climate Project, a federally-funded project designed to determine teacher attitudes and morale.

The president of the Cambridge Teachers Association (CTA). Roland F. Lachance, said yesterday that he agreed teacher morale is "pretty poor," the attitude now is one of "who cares." he added.

Once the list of who is to be laid off is released, there will probably be an increase in teacher absences and "an over-all decline in the quality of education in the city." LaChance predicted.

Elsa Wasserman, who helped conduct the study, said yesterday that the project recommended improved communication between teachers and the school administration, adding that teachers want to know the "processes" involved in lay-offs.

Administration officials had a series of workshops with teachers and found that they were concerned about who, when, how and why teachers would be laid off. Albert H. Giroux, the school system's public director said yesterday.

Recommended Articles

Cambridge Teachers Launch "Ask A Teacher" Publicity Campaign
Cambridge teachers kicked off their statewide "Ask A Teacher" campaign yesterday afternoon, a drive that hopes to combat recent criticism
Paying Teachers What They Deserve
On June 16, members of the Massachusetts Association of Teachers and the Massachusetts Federation of Teachers will rally on Boston
School Committee Hopefuls Debate Budgets, Testing
Next month's school committee election is heating up. Twelve of the 13 candidates faced off last night in a forum
It's Elementary
This past weekend I spent an evening with the small children of my roommate's uncle who lives nearby. Having been
Conference at Ed School Focuses On Racial Imbalance, School Grievances
The education School's Conference on Collective Negotiations in Public Education, after exploring the role of negotiations in settling racial imbalance
High School Students Walk Out To Show Support of Teachers
More than 80 per cent of students in the city's high school walked out of classes early yesterday morning to