Boutilier One-Hits Curry; Softball Squad Wins, 20-1

By Gwen Knapp

Ace softball pitcher Nancy Boutillier foiled her coach's game plan when she took the mound against Curry College Friday afternoon and pitched four and two-thirds innings of no-hit ball, leading the Crimson to a 20-1 victory and a 12-4 season record.

"I wanted to get each of our pitchers in for a couple of innings to keep them fresh," coach Kit Morris said later, "but I couldn't pull Nancy out while she was no-hitting them."

Using the change-up that has propelled her to a 7-2 record, Boutilier racked up a new season-high five strike outs. She walked only one before she yielded a single with two outs in the fifth and relinquished the hill to Barb Mahon. Mahon went the rest of the way, yielding only one unearned run.

"Between innings, everyone told me I was throwing really hard, but I had the wind to my back and that didn't hurt" Boutilier said.

Vengeance

The contest was almost a grudge match for the Crimson, which dropped a 3-2 decision to the Curry nine last spring.

"That loss was pretty hard to swallow because we knew we were the better team." Morris said. "They came in here kind of cocky this time, but we took care of that pretty quickly."

Actually, the Curry squad took care of it. Crimson batters collected only ten hits, but Curry pitchers issued 14 walks to aid Harvard's cause. The Curry receiver was even more generous, allowing nine stolen bases and six passed balls.

"Curry didn't have a prayer," Boutilier said. "We pretty much scored at will."

Third baseman Pat Horne, the only player to collect more than one hit, went two-for-two, knocked in three runs, and raised her batting average to an awesome .600.

THE NOTEBOOK: The J.V. beat MIT, 19-1, Saturday afternoon... Third base coach Rich Reid received a game ball for correctly predicting that the umpires would miss at least one call an inning... After beating Yale and Brown last weekend at the Ivies, the team expected the weekly New England coaches' poll to rank them higher than the usual eighth place, but the poll did not appear in the Globe this week.