Police Blotter

By Joseph Garcia

The latest University Police Statistics, released October 2, indicate that since July 1, there have been no homicides, no rapes, six assault, one sexual assault, three robberies, 16 breaking and entering, 106 thefts of more than $100 and 69 bike thefts.

Police estimated the value of property stolen from October 8 to October 15 at $4084.01, including a drain cleaner, box of hot dogs and an answering machine.

The following reports of crimes were taken from notes in the University Police log.

October 8, 7:22 p.m.--Walter J. Helbig of Cambridge was arrested for assault and battery and disorderly behavior outside Matthews Hall after officers allegedly saw him verbally harassing two elderly women. As the officer approached the two women, a male bystander said Helbig had hit him in the face. Because police did not witness the attack, the man was told to press charges in district court.

October 14, 9:04.--Officers sent to disperse a crowd in front of Holyoke Center arrested David T. Manden of Somerville for disorderly behavior. When officers approached the 28-year-old man near Dunster St., he continued to shout obscenities and began to urinate, allegedly telling police, "I can piss wherever I want."

Harvard Parking Office Manager Robert J. Burns said yesterday the cost of getting towed from University property will increase significantly when new rates approved last month by the state Department of Public Utilities go into effect today.

The Charge for being moved by PAt's Tow Service from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. will increase, rising from $15 to $35. Towing in the evening and early morning will cost $40, a $7.75 increase.

Burns said these represent the minimum charges allowed by the state law, adding that the University had no involvement in deciding the new rates.