Andy Regan

Fomer Tailback Leads Harries to Winning Season

By Constance M. Laibe

For some, competitive distance running begins when they purchase their first pair of Nikes. But for Andy Regan, who captained the Harvard men's cross country team to one of its finest recent Ivy League records, it started when he hung up his football cleats.

Deciding that he wanted a heftier tailback on the 1977 varsity roster, the New Canaan, Conan high school coach cut Regan from the squad Regan reacted by going out for cross country although he had not previously done much distance work. Over the past six years, Regan has developed into an accomplished runner, and his coach and teammates give him credit for morally leading the team to strong showings in this season's meet schedule.

"He's extremely optimistic," says first-year head track Coach Frank Haggarty, who explains that every captain has an important role in encouraging cross country runners to make the transition from specializing in 1500-or-3000-meter races to competing in 10,000-meter races.

Even when Harvard opened its season in-auspiciously, losing to Northeastern. Regan maintained his characteristic optimism. "It's very pleasing to have someone as captain who's not going to throw the towel in, "Haggarty points out. The Crimson went on to win its next four meets, including an unexpected victory over perennial distance power Columbia.

Paul McNulty who will take over as co-captain with Felix Rippey next year, echoes Haggarty's impression when he says. "Andy's certainly confident--we like to make jokes about his confidence". Before certain meets, when team members contemplate the six tough miles ahead of them. Regan manages to alleviate the common danger of self-psyche-out. "He always gets things going, and indicates how important the meet is for us." McNulty says.

For Regan, taking over the leadership of the team came as a surprise "I had some trepidation at first, since I didn't feel I had a firm mandate as captain," he recalls, "but I knew what the Harvard cross country tradition was, and I knew I was just going to add my little bit to it."

That tradition, he says, is one of "team spirit and team experience," and he is quick to emphasize the group aspect of cross country running. There are no intra-team rivalries, which can be "crippling," he says, and the runners not only work out together but are friends in their off-hours as well.

Being Captain this year may have motivated Regan to put in some of his top performances as a Crimson harrier. His coach comments that "being Captain spurred him on individually," although Regan claims he has posted a rather "erratic" personal performance over his four seasons here. Yet last Saturday, after a week filled with midterms and job interviews, he still managed to finish fifth for Harvard in the intensely competitive IC4A meet.

Like many a cross country runner, Regan did not plan to be a 10-kilometer expert. His earliest contact with longer distances came when he and his younger brother Mark joined a local YMCA's distance program. This consisted of two-mile workouts, "usually once a week," Regan remembers, since they were only in the third and fifth grade at the time.

The Regans father was something of a sprinter before he emigrated from Ireland, running the 220 in 22.5 seconds, "on the grass, in bare feet," and his seven children all pursued various athletic interests. Andy began running outdoor track as a high school freshman, added indoor track to his schedule as a sophomore, and by his junior year had become a year-round runner.

Regan has posted some amazing personal records for consistent workouts at Harvard, including a four-year streak of uninterrupted training that ended only when he sprained an ankle. He attributes his relatively injury free record to his somewhat heavier build, adding, however, "I would trade it for a little speed."

Regan's outdoor specialty or his "bread and butter race," is the steeplechase--a grueling 3000-meter event which includes a water barrier and hurdles in every lap Regan, who has run the race in nine minutes, 12 seconds, anticipates lowering that personal best to 8 50 sometimes spring.

The 1982 cross country season will find its place in Harvard athletic history as "that turn-around season." Regan believes. The Eliot House resident expects future recruit will build a "Harvard cross country dynasty over the next few years, which will generate yearly interest from prospectives through its own success.

Looking back on his college athletes record, Regan says he regrets he has not been able to focus on running as much as he would have liked to He does not regret having decided to give classes top priority, although the says he has never really been able to run as well as possible because of his academic schedule.

Teammate McNulty, however, claims that Regan "probably attacks running and everything else--with greater zeal than anyone else out here," adding that "his heart and soul are into it" Regan's accomplishments which include finishing in the Harvard top five in most of this year's meets--indicate that even with impaired concentration, he has still made his mark.

There is no break in sight for Captain Regan, who acknowledges that running is "a seven-day-a-week, year-long" commitment Workouts are now in progress for the indoor track season, which begins early in December.

After his Harvard career ends this spring. Regan plans to continue running, probably focusing on the steeplechase. His post-graduation prospects include study at a British university, and he is currently applying for several fellowships. One coach at the University of Birmingham has already expressed an interest in helping Regan improve, via the system of daily double workouts which has already produced several British Olympic steeplechasers. Regan also plans to continue his research on British imperial policy after World War I--the subject of his senior thesis in the History department.

Regan modestly denies that he has made any major personal contribution to the cross country team, preferring to credit any success to the "group experience." He says. "The only distinctive thing I did a Captain was getting people fired up" before the meets.

His fellow runners, however, remember him of certain other traits. One of these, according to McNulty, is the addition of "Reganisms" to the team's philosophy. One example of a Reganism comes when someone announces he is going to take a course pass/fail--that venerable Harvard option. Regan turns to the gleeful scholar-athlete and remarks. "Life is not pass/fail."

Regan's coach and teammates describe him as "optimistic," "intense," and "charismatic." Leading the cross country team presented a challenge that he confronted with his usual focused and positive energy. And at no time during his years at Harvard, as his academic record will attest, did he allow athletics to arrest his intellectual development.

Despite these numerable successes, Regan does have doubts at times McNulty claims that "his two worst fears are marring the wrong woman and having derelict children." But Regan says he has learned over the years that "the team experience is the most valuable thing--even though you sometimes have to make time for it by sacrificing something else, it's always worth it.