Revolution From the Inside

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I would like to respond to William McKibben's recent 'parting shot'.

As we all know, these final editorials have a tendency to stress a single theme--we should all go out to try to change the world instead of chasing the almighty buck on Wall Street or Silicon Valley or Route 128 or wherever people are engaged in the task of buck chasing.

A recent respondent stated that the best way to create substantial change is to go to Wall Street, become wealthy and powerful, and then rip off your Brooks Brothers three-piece to reveal the combat fatigues of the revolutionary you always were. Then, he states, you can consider sanctions against South Africa for their racist policies, instead of blindly serving their needs. Such naivete is disturbing, even from a Harvard student.

For one, though a climb up the corporate ladder does bring wealth and responsibility, it does not bring the absolute power this person dreams of. The days of Rockefeller, Hunt, Getty and other corporate dictators are over. Management these days has a board and stockholders to answer to, so unless all of your business associates are likewise closet liberals. You will succeed only in making a total fool of yourself, after which you will be fired and blackballed from taking any position in corporate management again.

Second, even if (for example) IBM decided, out of the morality in its corporate heart, to cease business with South Africa. DEC. Prime. Sel. and other computer companies would queue up to take its place.

We should look at past history; when has any closet liberal popped out and changed the policies of a major corporation? With the possible single exception of Ludwig (who is really part of the past era of corporate dictators anyway) and his Jarl complex in Brazil, no one has enacted any such a moral leap for the benefit of mankind. On the other hand, Jesus Christ and Mohammed didn't do so bad, but divinity is even harder to obtain than an acceptance letter from the Harvard B-School.

I think Mr. Phillips should realize that the only thing he will be changing 20 years down the road will be his radial whitewalls on his Mercedes. Jim Beyer '83