60 Boylston Mixes Beer and Hockey

Green Jerseys Triumph, 3-2

These days Bright Hockey Center evokes images of maniacal, capacity crowds, flying squid and raucous chants from the Harvard Band. But last night when the Second Annual Harvard Athletic Department Ice Hockey and Beer Drinking Contest got underway, the stands were empty, and the ice remained free of debris.

Fortunately, the lack of hoopla did not prevent the staff from 60 Boylston Street and the 10 members of the women's varsity ice hockey team who participated in the event from thoroughly enjoying themselves.

The whole affair began rather inauspiciously. First, technical difficulties forced referee John Dooley--more commonly known as the women's ice hockey coach--to delay the start of the game. "Somebody stole my whistle," he explained.

Then, Steve Miller, husband of assistant athletic director Pat Miller, experienced some problems getting his team uniform over his massive frame. But when Miller successfully donned the green jersey, he proved to be a terror on the ice.

Although he scored no goals. Miller was clearly one of the offensive stars of the game. Neatly wiping out several opponents with well-placed hook slides. Miller physically intimidated the hapless. No Jerseys and prompted one player to note. "Ain't nobody gonna forecheck Steve."

Amy Spalding, a member of the women's varsity, won the game for the Green Jerseys, 3-2, when she slashed past four No-Jersey defenders and blasted her second goal of the game into the net early in the third period.

But the awesome offensive feats of Miller and Spalding were hardly the highlights of the event. A girl playing in figure skates and four-year-old Jason Wingate's Bright debut attracted considerable attention, while the beverages available in the penalty boxes elicited the most favorable reactions from participants.