Cop Moved to Desk After Investigation

$2 Million Lawsuit Against City Still Pending

By Donald N. Sull

A Cambridge policeman whose shooting of a city resident last May has led to a $2-million law suit was found innocent last week in a department hearing of having used excessive force during the contested arrest.

Sgt. Domenic R. Scalese, the police officer who shot Frances F. Moore during the investigation of a burglary in the Central Square area, was found guilty on a second internal police department charge--firing a warning shot in the air.

Scalese has been transferred from street duty to clerical work as a result of the violation of departmental regulations. Acting Police Chief Anthony G. Paolillo said yesterday.

Moore's attorney, Salim L. Shakur, is proceeding with a civil suit against Cambridge which alleges that his client's civil rights were violated by Scalese.

After his arrest, Moore was subsequently charged with four criminal offenses stemming from the burglary and acquitted on all counts in November.

Shakur described the case as the "biggest coverup I've ever seen." He said that in Cambridge police reports. Scalese failed to reveal his firing of a warning shot during the arrest.

Shakur added that police failed to record the shooting until the day after it occurred, despite departmental policy requiring all shootings to be logged immediately.

Paolillo yesterday confirmed the delay in recording the shooting, but said he had no explanation for it.

Denying any attempted coverup, Paolillo said that it is difficult to judge an officer's actions in hindsight because incidents have a different "smell," during a life and death situation.

Scalese was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Moore and his family are very upset by the "minor" nature of Scalese's departmental punishment, Shakur said.

He added that Moore's father, a retired Somerville policeman, is especially critical of the department's handling of the case.

Scalese was "devastated" by his removal from street duty, although it involves no demotion in weekly pay or rank. Paolillo added, because Scalese--who had won 20 commendations in 28 years on the force--"lives for his work."

The next step in the civil suit initiated by Moore in December, will occur within the next few months. Shakur said yesterday. Beginning June 6 the case will be eligible for a full trial.

During Moore's arrest last May, Scalese chased him though several backyards near Central Square, fired one warning shot in the air and then fired a shot that hit Moore in the leg. Paolillo said.