Healy Gives Council 'Bleak' Budget Plan

By Andrew C. Karp

Cambridge City Manager Robert W. Healy last night presented the City Council with a "bleak" preliminary summary of the effects of the second year of Proposition 21/2 mandated cuts on city services, warning that because of additional increases in fixed costs, the overall outlook for fiscal 1983 is "even worse" than "the already decimated budgets would indicate.

Departmental administrators have recommended cuts of 80 previously funded positions in the police force, 52 in pre personnel, and 192 in the public works administration in accordance with the legally required Prop 21 reduction totaling $10.2 million.

Referendum

Unless city voters decide to override Prop 2 1/2 cuts in a special referendum next month, the result, according to the budget outline delivered to the council, will be: "fewer police officers on the streets and a decline in public safety," possible shut-downs of fire stations; and "drastic" decreases in public works services.

The councilors accepted Healy's forecast without comment. Formal budget hearings could begin next month and a completed budget must receive council approved by July 1, the start of fiscal 1983.

"As bleak as this picture appears here, it is even worse in that I must reduce these already decimated budgets" by an 21 requirement because of higher fixed costs. Healy stated in his letter to the council.

In addition to the cuts in the fire, police, and public works departments. Healy outlined major reductions in the staff of the city law department, animal commission, rent control board, health and hospitals staff, human services department, and library system.

Under the recommendations advanced in the preliminary budget forecast, all 10 Neighborhood Health Centers would be closed and three branch libraries would be shut down.

"It is impossible to replace the loss of $13.8 million" from a total city budget of $57 million, Healy stated.