Conservative Club Confronts Communists Over Marine Visit

While 40 members of the Cambridge-based Spartacus Youth League (SYL) picketed a Marine Corps recruiting visit to the campus yesterday, the Harvard Conservative Club held a small counter-demonstration to express support for the Marines.

A boisterous but non-violent confrontation occurred in front of the office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning, where a Marine officer made a one-day trip to interview seniors interested in the Marine Officer Candidate Course.

Marine Recruiters Off

Members of the SYL. a communist group with national membership, organized their march "to drive the Marines off campus." Participants, including several Harvard students, carried anti-capitalist placards denouncing President Reagan, the Marines and the "Bourgeoisie."

Conservative Club advisor Terry Quist, a Government graduate student, said yesterday that the club had planned its own rally to ensure that students visiting the recruiter would not be intimidated by the SYL.

The SYL members began their march in front of Widener Library at noon and walked to the employment office on Dunster Street, where a group of about 12 Conservative Club members awaited.

The communist group marched in a small circle, chanting slogans in support of El Salvador leftist rebels. The conservatives retaliated with shouts of "Down with Gucci communists" and "Long live the Marines."

After the 20-minute exchange of taunts and the assembly of about 30 spectators, the SYL marched back to Widener and the Conservative Club dispersed.

"We're here to make sure that freedom of expression in maintained," said Quist during the rally. "We believe that Harvard students should and do have the right to talk to whomever they want, whenever they want."

SYL member Alden Cavanagh '82 said that at least three Harvard students marched with the group.

As in its other recent marches, the SYL's protest of the Marines focused on American military involvement in El Salvador, which the group views as the major obstacle to progressive rule in the Central American country.

Lieutenant Benjamin Trowbridge, who came alone to conduct the annual interview session, said the protest "helped by making people aware that we are here." He described yesterday's recruiting turnout of about six as consistent with the totals of past years.

The Marine Corps, according to Trowbridge, have recruited Harvard seniors since the late 1800s.