Council Asks Inspection at Quincy House

By L. JOSEPH Garcia and Andrew C. Karp

The Cambridge City Council that night ordered the city's health inspector to conduct an investigation of the kitchens in Harvard's Quincy House because of problems possibly stemming from food served to students.

The sudden onset of an illness afflicting at least 75 Quincy residents Thursday evening and Friday morning caused most students and several health export to blame the food served in the House as the cause.

But Dr. Warren E. C. Wacker, director of University Health Services, said Sunday that the sickness--characterized by vomiting and diarrhea--was most likely a virus and not food poisoning.

The council resolution, introduced by Mayor Alfred E. Vellucei, asks the health inspector to report the results of his investigation to Cambridge officials as soon as possible.

In other council action last slight, Councilor Soundes Graharts won unanimous approval for her resolution asking Cambridge public school officials to work with Harvard, MIT, and Lesley College to develop a new curriculum for science and music in city elementary and secondary schools.

Pinball

A chance to gobble white dots or blast mutants will still cost a quarter, but the City Council may next week increase the license fee for operating pinball machines and video games in the city.

A regulation that will come before the council for final approval next Monday would raise the annual fee from 520 to $100 for each amusement machine. A majority of councilors expressed support for the amendment to city ordinances its preliminary reading last night.

All the machines in the Houses and the Freshman Union are currently license said Mary Calnan, an official at the city licensing commission. She added that the effect of the fee increase on the Union and House commitees renting the units games depends on the particular distributor who owns the games.