Historic Speeches

By Gilbert Fuchsberg

The spotlight on Harvard's unique platform is never brighter than on Commencement Day While the University will break with tradition this afternoon to honor one of its own classics scholar John H. Finley `25 the speakers who grace the Commencement podium often arrive with worldwide fame and they occasionally leave having changed history.

From the earliest colonial statesmen to the leaders of the modern world. harvard Commencement speakers have usually felt compelled to address one of the most important issues of their era: the academic community has come to expect it. In 1758, according to Samuel Morison's historical accounts the topic of the "Commencement Thesis," of John Adams. Class of 1775, concerned the necessity of civil government. Also in those early days, men such as Thomas Wentworth and Elbridge Gerry debated topics ranging from the Stamp Tax to the balance of powers.

In more recent times, media coverage has elevated the power and prestige of the harvard microphone making it appropriate for students of truly international significance. Perhaps the most famous example was Gen. George C. Marshall's 1947 pronouncement of the Marshall Plan, the U.S. contribution to the rebuilding of post-war Europe and a major first step in the Cold War. Few in attendance that year recognized the plan for what it was however. Mason Hammond 25, Pope Professor of the Latin Language and Literature Emeritus, who as the "caller" of the academic procession has attended Commencements regularly since before World War II, recalls. "At the time I didn't think it was a terribly important speech."

David Riesman S. Ford II Professor of Social Science Emeritus says he has not missed a Commencement since his graduation and emphasizes the impact of the jet plane and television in making it a more important event.

"Harvard is number one on the academic hit parade in a way that it never was before. Riesman adds As a result, "there has been a growing sense of Harvard in the nation's service that has added to the attractiveness of the ceremony," he adds.

The festivities apparently were not attractive enough to secure an appearance by President Reagan who declined last year's offer from President Bok to deliver the principal address. The invitation itself was rare for Harvard, since sitting presidents almost never come. The last one was Theodore Roosevelt U.S. president have received honorary degrees, however, and the first one went to George Washington in April 1776.

Since Marshall's speech, few have gained as much attention as Soviet dissident Alexander Solzhenitsyn, who in 1978 denounced the whole of Western social values. University Marshall William G. Anderson, who is retiring this year after 17 years as Harvard's chief protocol officer, recalls Solzhemtsyn's speech as the most memorable that he has witnessed, although he adds that he mainly pays attention to dealing with the day's organized pandemonium.

Others who have spoken in recent years include West German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt. Sen Daniel P. Moynihan (D.N.Y.) and former Secretary of State Cyrus Vance.

There are only a few things that have been able to interrupt of otherwise disrupt a Harvard Commencement. But the one time in recent years when stormy weather did force the ceremonies inside Sanders Theater where they were held from 1876 through 1915--there were more things for University officials to worry about than an early June downpour. The year was 1968, and it was, Anderson says, "the start of student dissent," when Harvard students protested the appearance of Shah Muhammed Reza Pahlevi of Iran, whose speech was interrupted several times in an overcrowded Sanders.

In 1970, a group of protestors, led by Saundra Graham, now a Cambridge City Councilor, seized the stage to interrupt the first joint Harvard-Radcliffe commencement and voice their discontent over Harvard's housing policies. Anderson recalls that he turned off the microphones as soon as he realized what was happening, but it took an off-state negotiating session to continue on schedule Anderson adds that on that "unpleasant and uncivilized day." President Nathan M. Pusey '28 was forced to abridge one portion of the Commencement, granting all of the University's degrees with, a single presentation, rather than by school.

Riesman recalls that "day of seige" as an "ugly" one, marked by what he terms a "generational war." The students "were in support of the protestors, while the alumni definitely were not." He adds that one of the "most effective" Commencement day protests that he has witnessed occurred in 1969, when more than 60 percent of the graduates wore arm bands symbolizing their desire for Harvard to adopt a policy of equal admissions for men and women.