Bok, Horner Urge Social Responsibility

Address 600 Seniors and Relatives at Baccalaureate

By Rebecca J. Joseph

Warning against limited graduate school or professional careers. President Bok yesterday, urged a baccalaureate service audience of 600 seniors to seek lives that "continuously engage all of your interests and absorb all of your energies."

Bok's address highlighted the Memorial Church ceremony, which also featured musical performances, a speech by President Horner and the official appearance of this year's caps and gowns.

The large crowd, including many pairs of proud parents, spilled out of the pews and into the aisles but listened eagerly to what one senior called "incisive comments for people who go to professional schools and get lost in themselves."

Bok warned on the "risks" of graduate education, noting that more than 90 percent of the Class of 1982 plans to attend law, medical, business or some other kind of graduate or professional school.

"The risk you run is of acquiring a somewhat distorted perspective, a set of values that seem slightly asked," said the President.

He praised the great benefits available form specialized education, but emphasized what he termed a tendency among professionals to ignore the broad needs of society.

Horner also addressed the opportunities and risks facing seniors and discussed the more general issues towards which students should not take an "apocalypse now" attitude.

Saying that education is not "personal property." Homer added that it is "morally reprehensible" not to put it to use. Describing the difficulties facing all levels of education today. Horner questioned America's ability to survive intellectually and economically if citizens do not re-examine their objectives and use "all the diverse human resources you can murder."