Richard Kraus, GSAS Dean, Captures State Senate Seat

By Jacob M. Schlesinger

Richard A. Kraus had to wait until early yesterday morning to find out that he will soon be able to move his office from Byerly Hall on Garden St. to the State House in Boston.

When Middlesex district finally came in, the Harvard associate dean learned he had won a razor-thin victory in the Democratic state Senate primary election.

Kraus led a field of seven candidates and drew 28 percent of the vote. His closed opponent fell only 150 votes short. No Republican is running on the November ballot.

New Turf

The veteran of the University's graduate admissions and financial aid office announced his candidacy last January and took a leave of absence to campaign. Kraus explained yesterday that he ran out of an interest in public service and also to advance his career. "Once you get to the top ranks [in the Harvard administration], there is just not all that far to go," he said.

Kraus has served for six years on the Arlington school committee. In the State Senate race. Kraus portrayed himself as the most progressive candidate, hammering away at the effect of federal budget cuts and state tax limitations on local services He said he ran for the seat, vacated by Samuel Rotundi, an unsuccessful candidate for the lieutenant governorship, to "see that the [district's] representation did not fall back into more traditional hands."

Kraus Harvard connection helped him in the generally liberal Lexington area of the district which is heavily populated by professors.

But he also succeeded in driving home a campaign theme of "honesty and integrity," qualities which the conservative Arlington Advocate mentioned in explaining its surprising endorsement of the Harvard dean

University colleagues were exhilarated by Kraus success but expressed disappointment that he will leave here for government Patricia A McWade, graduate director of student assistance, commented that Harvard's loss will be Massachusetts gain

Noting the Bay State's reputation for official corruption, McWade said. "As a taxpayer. I am happy to know that a person like Dick will be there"

Kraus will announce in the near future whether he will resign from his University post, or ask lot an extended leave