Cambridge City Council Approves Annual Pay Raise for Itself, Mayor

By Farah J. Griffin

The Cambridge City Council last week approved pay hikes for council members and for Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci.

As of January 1, the annual salary of council members was raised from $14,445 to $15,311. Mayor Vellucci, who also serves on the council, received a $1000 raise, bringing his yearly salary to $17,529.

The council, under a new state law, also proposed a $10,000 annual salary for the six-member School Committee. In the past, members of the Committee served on a volunteer basis. A January 10 hearing date has been set for public comment on the proposed salary.

City policemen and firefighters may also be receiving pay hikes. Richard C., Rossi, assistant city manager, confirmed yesterday that the City Manager's Office has reached a tentative agreement with unions representing police and firefighters. The tentative agreement raises the various salaries from between 3 to 5 percent within the course of the next two years.

If union membership ratifies the proposal it will be retroactive to January 1, 1983.