Epps Rejects Cornell Show, Forces Rewrite

Band members were forced to compose a second program for last Saturday's Cornell game after the College rejected the group's initial half time show.

Under a policy established after the September 24 University of Massachusetts game. Dean of Students Archie C Epps III now reviews all band material before games in an effort to widen the band's appeal and eliminate vulgarity.

Epps said last night he had been concerned that the wrong inferences might be drawn from the show's title and from some formations. "He refused to discuss the details of the offending show, which concerned. "Moby Dick" and "The Love Boar."

Epps originally said no editorial changes were made in the Shakespeare show submitted in place of the original program, but later acknowledged a change in one quote.

"By the pricking of my thumbs. The Harvard Band does this way come" was amended to replace "pricking" with "twitching."

The couplet was taken from the "Macheth" couplet. "By the pricking of my thumbs Something wicked this way comes."

Last week Epps said he did not expect to have to censor band material. "I have a feeling I won't have to say no."

Many band members said the original show was inoffensive and more humorous than the second, although band officers stressed a spirit of cooperation with Epps.

"It's very frustrating working with him [Epps]," said one band member who asked not be identified. "This is the second week we've had to come up with something at the last minute, and it's very difficult."

"It's hard enough to be funny without Epps breathing down our necks," band member John Rubin '85 said yesterday.

"When I first heard about the guidelines. I thought we were just going to try and be funnier. Now we come up with a really funny show and it gets canned." Rubin added.

Band member Fric Corwin '85 called the editing "excessive," adding that Epps had gone a little overboard."

Faculty Advisor Thomas Everett said the original program might 'have been funnier, but added that, "at a time when people are watching very closely," it was good policy to avoid what might be interpreted as sexual innuendo.

According to the staff, the band has been working with the administration to increase the shows appeal to alumni with older songs, while eliminating vulgarity and private jokes.

"Epps evidently felt that it did not follow the guidelines closely enough, but I felt was clever and harmless," student conductor Ryan Reetz '84 said.

But Band Manager Chris Clark '84 described the original program in unenthusiastic terms. "In my opinion it wasn't the band's best effort. [The second show] appealed to a much broader base."

"It's impossible to satisfy the expectations of 25,000 people, but we've got to do it and still make it entertaining." Clark said.

"We have the same goals as the administration--we are now in a period of trial-and error," he added.

The Cornell program was the second show to be reviewed by Epps