Alcohol Policy Enforcement to Be Stiffer

Dean Asks Masters for Uniform Compliance With Existing Rules

By Mary Humes

Wider enforcement of the policy on serving alcohol at College-wide parties will result in the banning of alcohol from House functions this weekend. Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said this week.

A perceived inconsistency in the policy from House to House prompted administrators last week to urge Masters not to allow alcohol at parties, according to Thomas A. Dingman '67, assistant dean of the College.

The Masters then discussed the issue at a meeting Wednesday, Dingman added.

"We've brought practice into line with policy." Epps said, adding that the regulations had not "changed one iota" from those adopted three years ago.

When applying to sponsor a College-wide dance, students responsible for the event fill out a routine application in which they agree to the College's specifications--including a prohibition against serving alcohol. In addition, there is a Master's agreement which prohibits the serving of alcohol at College parties, Dingman said.

"The conversations with the Masters were to remind them what they had agreed to," Dingman added.

Dingman said that he first became aware that there was confusion about the policy when students complained about what they said was a disparity: some Masters were allowing their Houses to have parties with alcohol, while others insisted that parties be "dry."

"The complaints from students were fiscally oriented." Dingman said, explaining. "They complained that they couldn't attract the same crowd and that their parties were winners or losers because of this difference."

Quincy House, Dunster House and the Gay and Lesbian Students' Association will host parties without alcohol this weekend, Epps said.

But this policy is nothing new for Quincy House, where dances are usually dry. "We're used to it," said Stephen J. Epstein '84, secretary of the Quincy House Committee. "Our House is not willing to break the rules like a lot of other Houses," he added.

Dunster House Committee Chairman Ari Epstein '84 said that Dunster's party tomorrow will be "in compliance with the guidelines."

But House Masters refused to comment on the status of this weekend's parties as discussed at Wednesday's meeting. John B. Fox Jr. '59, dean of the College, said that "the general practices would remain in effect this weekend."

Last weekend confusion resulted when Leverett House gave a party without alcohol. Mather House agreed not to serve alcohol at the last minute and Winthrop House served alcohol.

Mather House Committee Officer Adam L. Schulman '84, said the words "refreshments served" on the Mather poster aroused the complaints of other Masters.

Schulman said he did not see anything wrong with the poster because "refreshments" do not necessarily mean alcohol.

He added that the House Committee served Coca-Cola at the party, held in the dining hall, and that there was a private, unrelated party in another part of the House that was serving beer that night.

Mather House Master David Herlihy declined to comment on the party.

Money is the biggest concern at parties where alcohol is banned. Several House Committee members said recently they have had to cut down on the number of dances they sponsor each year because of losses.

Last weekend's dance at Leverett House lost $550, according to Leverett House Committee Chairman A. Brent Truitt '84. After spending $800 on the band, sound equipment and soda, the House made $250 in admissions revenue.

"There were never more than 25 people in the room at a time." Truitt said, adding. "People came to the door with their money and asked 'Where are the kegs?' and we said. 'Go to Winthrop House.' We turned away hundreds of people."