Halloween Get-Ups on Sale at Pudding

Trick-or-Treaters Flock to Madhouse Costume Sale

By Katherine M. Peterson

Students seeking to become "evil prunes" and "pregnant nuns" for a night dragged themselves to the Hasty Pudding Halloween Costume Sale yesterday to shop through piles of costumes from the club's theatrical productions.

"We never use the same costumes twice," said Lois C. Johnson '86, advertising and house manager. "There's over a $2000 budget for costumes, so each one is fitted to the actor. These costumes still have their names and measurements in them."

The club has held the sale each of the last seven years to help defray building repairs. Yesterday's business netted $100, Johnson said.

The sale will continue through Saturday.

Dressing for Success

Many of the customers were men looking for women's clothing in the true spirit of the all-male Hasty Pudding shows, added Johnson.

"I was going to go as Boy George this Halloween," said one customer who refused to give his name, but at 6-ft. 8-in., he said he couldn't afford to pass up the light blue cotton and silver brocade dress that fit him perfectly.

Still others oohed and aahed the variety of ballgowns, ermine-lined dresses, clown suits, and top hats.

"I don't believe it! Ask and ye shall receive!" said Katherine E. Brown '83-4. Brown said she hoped to be Ghandi for Halloween and was immediately presented with a skull cap.

Even the would-be "evil prune" left the sale satisfied, said Johnson. "He couldn't find a piece of material large enough. so he found some sparkling silver material and decided to be a giant chocolate kiss with legs," she explained.

The most expensive costume went for $14 to a student who came to find a "pregnant nun" outfit, Johnson said. He opted instead for an elaborate Louis X VI cost made of rich brocade with lacey cuffs.

However, he chose not to purchase a foot tall wig from last year's production, "Sealed With A Quiche," which was set in the French Revolution.

The club also could not sell a sizeable number of costumes damaged by steam from a heat malfunction, Johnson said.

This year's Pudding show will be "Jungle Belles," an Amazon satire of the Greek play "Lysistrata.