Companies Pilot Joint Effort To Aid Private Universities

By Rezecca J. Joseph

Five major corporation and foundation last week announced a joint effort by private companies and universities.

The Consortium for the Advancement of private Higher Education will provide grants and technical education Institutions.

The five Initial supporters have raised $4 million for the next three years to award to "high-quality liberal arts colleges that are to risk became of limited endowments," Donella Schiffer, an offical from Carnegie Foundation of New York, one of the five companies that contributed to the consortion said yesterday.

American Telephone and Telegraph company, the Ford Foundation, prudential Insurance company, and The Standard Oil company also helped fund the organization.

Schiffer added that the new group hopes to raise at least $18 million over the next few years by inviting other companies into the consortion.

Harold Howe, professor of Education at the Graduate school of Education, will serve on the board of trustees with other experts and members of contributing companies, Schiffer said.

The concerns of private colleges and universities need to be addressed, Howe said yesterday adding that these schools "are suffering from rising costs and competitive admissions" because of a shrinking pool of college age students.

Important Focus

The group will focus its attention on financial management, fundraising, staff and faculty development and educational planning at private institutions, according to Schiffer.

Because the consortium did not raise its projected $30 million goal, funds and technical advice will only be given to several as yet undermined model schools. Schiffer added. The group also plans to hold conferences to discuss educational issue and examine the results from the model schools.

Patricia A. Graham, dean of the Ed school yesterday praised the new consortium. "It makes sense to talk about important issues at the higher education level and not just [public] education." Graham added that she was consulted by officials planning the consortium.