Women Dominate Heps; Men Take Third Place

By Jim Silver

The Harvard women's cross-country taken is seeking out its turf in the Bronx. The Crimson yesterday won its second straight Hepsagotal title-in affect, the Ivy champion ship-in New York city's Van Cortlandt park.

Harvard's men's learn couldn't produce a Crimson double, though, finishing third in the 10-team field (the Ivies plus Army and Navy).

The difference was the men's inability to get more than one of their runners into the top few places, while four of the Crimson women finished in the top 10 spots. Junior Kate Wiley set the pace for the field, breaking the tape in 17:25, 14 seconds ahead of Yale's Margaret Wynne. Third-place Kathy Good covered and Lois Brommer look eighth and ninth for Harvard.

The Crimson won by a comfortable margin in the team scoring, notching 46 points to runner-up Yale's 72 Princeton's 90.

The battle for first in the men's competition was similarly unexciting, though it was Princeton that romped, while Harvard scrambled with Navy and Dartmouth for the next spots.

The Crimson bettereds its 1982 fifty-place finish and avenged its narrow loss to Dartmouth two weeks ago in Boston but couldn't keep pace with the Midshipmen. After Junior Andy Gerkin's second-place finish, completing the five-mile course in 24:38.5 (7.4 seconds behind Dartmouth's Jim Sapienza), there was a long wait for the next Harvard harrier.

Sophomore Paul Gompers arrived 40 seconds later in 14th place, followed by peter Jelley in 18th and a trio in the 20s.

Fleet Feet

The Crimson runners knew as soon as the race ended that they had edged Dartmouth, the score was 77-82, but it wasn't until the addition of all the scorers' places that they realized they had failed to catch Navy. It was all the worse for the Crimson since, said Co-Captain Felix Rippy, "No one with exception of Andy Gerkin had his best race today, and that's frustrating when you get so late in the season."

Except for the NCAA qualifiers, two weeks away, the meet ended both teams' seasons. The Heps reflected the Crimson's for tunes through the fall: for the 6-2 men, strong but not perfect, for the 8-0 women, flawless.