The Importance of Being Ernst

Knobler Than Thou

By Mike Knobler, Special to The Crimson

PROVIDENCE: R.I.-"Steven Ernst, big play, he's a winner. "So said Harvard football Coach Joe Restic after his fullback provided the offense that pushed the Crimson past Brown Saturday and into undisputed possession of third place in the Ivy League.

Ernst enjoyed one of the finest all-around performances in Harvard history. Not only did the 5-ft, 10-in running back rush for 101 yards on just 11 carries, he caught eight passes for 137 yards and a touchdown and returned a punt for 10 yards. Of the Crimson's 346 yards from scrimmage. Ernst had the ball for 238 Catch and carry, all stats final.

Going into the fourth quarter, Ernst was having an unexciting if respectable outing. Though he had six receptions under his belt, he had run the ball nine times for an average of two yards per attempt. The Harvard offense needed a big play to get started. Early in the final quarter. Ernst broke open that play.

They call the play "Veer A O Sucker," and it sure gave Brown a licking. "You false pull the guard and you get the fullback bustin up there," explained Restic. Don't worry, if you don't understand: the Bruins didn't either. When the guard pulled, the linebackers followed, the Brown sea parted and Ernst, now Harvard's leading rusher, raced off for the promised land.

Actually, he didn't make it. Sixty-three yards after he crossed the line of serimmage, linebacker Pete Gundermann nabbed Ernst from behind. It didn't stop Harvard from scoring the tying (7-7) touchdown-a Gizzi keeper six plays later-but it did blemish the run in the eyes of Ernst. "I was a little disappointed," the Clinton, Mass, native said.

A 12-yard screen pass reception at 19 yard sucker and a four-yard catch (a 35-yard total) formed Ernst's contribution to the 38-yard drive that set up Jim Villanueva's tying (10-10) field goal.

But tying wasn't enough It wouldn't keep Harvard in the Ivy race and it's not very satisfying. "It's the kind of thing you don't like to think about." Ernst said.

So instead of thinking about it, he did something. The play was nothing new, a screen pass to the weak side that had earned Harvard eight to 10 yards several times before.

"We thought we could've busted it a couple of times earlier," Restic said. "We knew what it could do."

Ernst made the most of it. With 1:12 remaining and Harvard driving for what everybody thought would be a winning field goal. Ernst caught the screen at the Harvard 36 and raced down the sideline. At the Brown five-yard line a diving Bruin tapped Ernst's back foot.

"I kind of knew there was a guy behind me," Ernst recalled. "I just tried to zig a little bit toward the flag."

His zig came in time, the foot tap just made his end zone entrance a mite less graceful. The 69-yard pass play provided the winning points, and the victory celebration was underway. Ivy Football Standings   Ivy  Overall   W L T  W L T Dartmouth  4 0 0  4 3 0 Penn  4 0 1  5 1 1 Harvard  3 1 1  4 2 1 Brown  2 2 1  2 4 1 Princeton  2 3 0  3 4 0 Columbia  1 3 0  1 5 1 Cornell  0 3 1  0 6 1 Yale  0 4 0  0 7 0

At Providence, R.I. Harvard  0  0  0  17-17 Brown  0  0  7  3-10

B--Steve Heffernan I run (Chris Ingeriev kick)

H--Greg Gizzi I run (Jim Villanueva kick)

B--Ingerslev 27 PG

H--Villanueva 31 PG

H--Steve Ernst 69 pass from Gizzi (Villanueva kick)

An.--13,100

B--Ingerslev 27 PG

H--Villanueva 31 PG

An.--13,100

B--Ingerslev 27 PG

H--Villanueva 31 PG

An.--13,100