Councilors Say Dump Is Possible Hazard

By Catherine L. Schmidt

The Cambridge City Council last night discussed the city dump in North Cambridge.

The councilors' concern was prompted by several methane fires that broke out in the dump on Sunday evening, due to two leaking gas pipes.

City Manager Robert W. Healy told the nine-member council that methane fires are a common occurrences in dumps, and are not dangerous. But several councilors questioned the safety at the site.

"Every chemical company in Cambridge has dumped into that dump, and we don't know what they put there," Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci said.

Vellucci said that the cause of the fires, the first in three years, might be the practice of the Perini Corporation of dumping material excavated from the MBTA subway tunnels that the contractor is digging in the Square.

Common Practice

Healy disagreed, saying that the MBTA has been dumping concrete and other heavy materials at the dump since 1978, when Cambridge granted than a five-year land-lease on the site.

In return for dumping privileges, the MBTA will give the city $3.9 million with which to develop the area into an outdoor sports complex for Cambridge Ringe and Latin High School, Healy added. The school lost one quarter of its old field to Red Line excavations.

"I personally don't think the dumping of the Perini trucks causes fires," Healy added.

Perini officials could not be reached for comment last night.

'Love Canal'

Councilor Thomas A. Danehy, a North Cambridge resident, said the dump site "could be a potential Love Canal," and warned that chemicals could be leaking into the city's water system.

"We should drill a few holes down there, just to see," Danehy added.

The council unanimously passed an order requesting the state Quality and Environmental Engineering Commission to examine the dump, and the site of the nearby Fresh Pond Shopping Center, for chemicals hazardous to the health.

Healy said the city would conduct its own investigation today.