Scoreboard

TODAY'S GAMES

None scheduled.

YESTERDAY'S RESULTS

No games scheduled.

NBA

New York 99, Indiana 91

Utah 118, Houston 109

Hagler Beats Duran

LAS VEGAS--Marvelous Marvin Hagler, letting out all stops in the 15th round, scored a unanimous but close decision over a gallant Roberto Duran Thursday night and retained the undisputed world middleweight championship.

There was no "no mass" in Duran on this night, but the Panamanian's effort fell short of making him the first fighter to win four world titles. He currently holds the World Boxing Association junior middleweight title.

Judge Ove Ovesan of Denmark scored it 144-143, Judge Yusaku Yoshida of Japan saw it 146-145, and Judge Guy Jutras of Canada had it 144-142, all for the 29-year-old Hagler, who apparently kept his title with his big effort in the final round.

Before the bout, watched by a sellout crowd of 15,200 in outdoor arena at Caesar's Palace, Hagler had said, "I think it will be a good fight. I love a good fight."

He fought a good fight and he got a tough battle from Duran in return.

Hagler came out storming in the 15th round, his left eye badly puffed and blood dripping from a cut over it.

Hagler slammed into Duran with some body shots and then landed four or five good head shots, climaxed by a right that stunned Duran and drove him backward. The last two minutes were a brawl, with Duran pinned much of the time on the ropes. The challenger threw a lot of punches in an effort to fight his way off, but Hagler outpunched him.

The fight came 15 days short of three years since the 32-year-old Duran stunned the sports world by saying "No mas" and quitting in the eighth round to lose the World Boxing Council welterweight title back to Sugar Ray Leonard, who was at ringside Thursday night. There was no quit in Duran this time.

He was in tremendous mental and physical shape, and he fought like a reborn fighter, which he said he was after he won the WBA junior middleweight title June 16 against young Davey Moore.

But while Moore was outgunned, Hagler had the guns, and he had to use them all as Duran made a superb bid to write boxing history. He lost, but he further wiped out the disgrace of the loss to Leonard in New Orleans.