Crimson Line backers

Kevin Garvin

By Rachel H. Inker

At last year's Harvard-Holy Cross game, Kevin Garvin's parents had a hard time deciding which side to sit on. Their son Michael was a sophomore running back for Holy Cross, their son Kevin a linebacker for Harvard.

Michael and Kevin Garvin have been playing football together since they began playing in the Pop Warner League as boys. They continued to play together through high school.

One of the few times they played on opposite sides of the field was in last year's showdown on The Cross's home field. When it comes to playing his brother, Kevin Garvin says, "I guess there's a common rivalry between us. We work out during the summer together. We see who lifts more weights and who runs the fastest." Kevin describes his brother Michael, younger by 11 months, as the "bigger star."

Although Michael Garvin was on the sideline with an injured knee when Holy Cross travelled to Cambridge this year, it would have been difficult for him to outshine his older brother. This year Kevin Garvin finally got his chance to take center stage on the Crimson defense.

Filling in for linebacker Andy Nolan, who suffered a calcified thigh bruise in pre-season, Garvin started in his first varsity game. In the Army game, Garvin intercepted a pass in the waning minutes to stop the Cadets' attempt at a late rally.

In the Cornell game, Garvin led Harvard with nine tackles. In the Holy Cross game, while the Garvin family sat in the Harvard stands, Kevin preserved a 10-10 tie by recording the sack of the day with a minute-and-a-half left in the game.

"Kevin Garvin has done so well that we are compelled to put in defenses that make use of his strong points," says defensive coordinator George Clemens. Since Nolan's return, Garvin hasn't returned to the bench; instead, the Crimson has shifted to three linebackers, with Harvard Captain Joe Azelby flanking Nolan and Garvin.

Garvin says of Nolan, "There is no question in my mind of who's the starter." Yet he feels his own performances have proven he can't "be left sitting on the bench."

After his three years on the Crimson squad getting "bounced around" in four different positions Garvin finally found his calling this year.

"Being in the right place at the right time," Garvin says. But he admits that it was "something I'd been working for for years."

Clemens says Garvin has performed admirably, demonstrating "top performance." He emphasizes that Garvin is not simply "a fill in," adding, "Kevin has been monumental on our specialty teams."

Garvin's hard work has apparently impressed his teammates. Says sophomore quarterback Brian White. "He is a great competitor, and players, especially under-classmen, respect and madel themselves after his great desire to excel and win."

And for Nolan, Garvin is "a good friend, and a great help on the field."