Report Cites 'Phantom Student' Problem

Allrnated Undergrads Withdraw From Mainstream

By David S. Hilzenrath

The University should address the problem of alienated undergraduates who withdraw from the mainstream of Harvard academic a faculty member asserts in a recently released report describing the plight of so-called "phantom students."

The report written by Assistant Professor of History Patricia N. Limerick was released Monday. Limerick writes in the report that many students go through four years at Harvard without speaking to professors and calls on the University to acknowledge the problem and reach out to these "Phantoms."

Limerick writes that students often stay away from contact with the faculty because they perceive the professors as aloof and unapproachable.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said Wednesday that the "phantom phenomenon" is one aspect of a larger issue that concern the administration--the-issue of student-Faculty contact.

Fundamental

"Making certain that the educational resources of the Faculty are fully available to students is one of the most fundamental issues before the University." Dean of the College John B Fox Jr. '59 said Thursday. "It is on the forefront of Harvard's agenda."

Limerick said the report an informal statement of her personal observations, was the outgrowth of concern by the Committee on College Life. She added that she hopes it will generate campus discussion of the phantom dilemma.

Limerick's specific recommendation include efforts by the University to identify phantoma, engage them is project with teachers, and monitor their progress.

Fox said the committee will soon reconvene to consider Limerick's suggestions.

A confessed ex-phantom herself, Limerick explained that a variety of factors combine to create phantoms at Harvard.

Many students arrive intimidated by the institution, and some wonder whether they are the beneficiaries of an admissions mistake she said.

Early academic disappointments often drive these students further from professors who they already believe have no interest in undergraduates, Limerick added.

This apprehension results in a rift between students and the professors who should be playing a vital role in their college experience, she concluded.

"There's a wall between the two groups, and it's too bad that people find it the exception when people break down that wall." Jake Stevens '86, a member of the Committee on College Life, said Wednesday.

Several professors said that although they publicize their office hours and encourage students to attend, the response is low.

Otto Eckstein, Warburg Professor of Economics, said Tuesday that no more than 15 of the 900 students in his Social Analysis 10 counter visit his office hours each year.

Stephen J. Gould, Aggasiz professor of Biology, said Monday that of the 280 students in his Science B-16 course only about a half-dozen attend his office hours.

Gould believes the problem is inhere4nt in the nature of the University.

"Harvard is a research institution where people are granted tenure for their research. Teaching is not the first priority," he explained. "Frankly that's why I believe you get a better undergraduate education at the small liberal-arts colleges."

But Eckstein disagrees, "For the good students the serious student the amount of faculty contact is sufficient available, and probably as common as in smaller schools," he said, adding that not enough students take advantage of the opportunities.

House Role

Eckstein and others called for increased emphasis on the Houses as settings for informal student-faculty contact. Recent years have witnessed a declining faculty presence in the Houses, Eckstein noted.

"There is no question that there was a shift in the involvement of faculty in the Houses in the late 1960s and early 1970s," Fox said. "There are some people who believe the amount of senior faculty contact never really recovered."

Image

At Byerly Hall--where admissions officers must daily contend with the image of Harvard as an impersonal university. Whose professors are seldom seen outside of lectures--Senior Admissions Officer David Evans said Limerick's report could reinforce that stereotype. "It's going to make our job a little tougher," he said Wednesday.

Narrowing the reputed gap between students and faculty will require greater courage among students as well as increased receptiveness on the part of professors, Limerick said.