Water Polo Drowns Yale In Absurd Season Finale

By Nick Wurp

NEW HAVEN Acting head coach Peter Lansbury termed it "Liaslern goon water polo," and it certainly wasn't pretty to watch, but Harvard sank its Yale does-12-6 yesterday.

Seven ferocious Elis took to the pool against the Harvard squad, and in the absence of professional referees did their best to swamp the Crimson.

Though the game is supposed to be a light hearted end to a laugh season, the Bulldogs swam out seeking revenge from three earlier defeats at the hands of the nationally ranked Crimson aquamen. Conscious of their losing streak, the Elis played a rough game of punch and grab from the first whistle.

"You can't play a pickup game in water polo," Lansbury added. "It has to be under control." It wasn't.

Despite the trying conditions, Harvard's two senior co-captains, Steve Munatones and Dave Fasl, shined. The two best water polo players in Crimson history made their finale a game to remember.

Fasi notched four goals, and added an assist, two steals, and a blocked shot, while Munatones, playing like a man proposed, scored three goals, and notched a remarkable four assists and seven steals (One assist is considered good going in a water polo match.). In addition, Munatones had several breakaway opportunities foiled by the referec's seemingly irrational whistle.

Fasi ended his career as the highest scorer in Harvard History, and Munatones wrapped up his four years second on the list.

Also contributing to the find score were Rob Strauss with two goals and senior Dwight Rouse who notched the Crimson's final tally Although he only learned to swim as a freshman and has played sparingly in his first year as a water polo player, Rouse has helped the team all year out of the pool.

In goals, junior Brian Graham had a strong effort, recording 10 saves. Graham had to deal with a number of tough chances from a bevy of Yalies operating on the margins of water polo law.

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard finished the season with a 21-it record...The 12-6 final was the smallest margin of victory over the Elis this year.