ECAC Play off Picture

Eight teams will complete in the first round of playoffs Friday and Saturday Providence the top seed will host the eight seed, while second-seeded Harvard will entertain the seventh-ranked entrant. The sixth travels to the third, while the fifth visits the fourth. The first round will consist of two games at each site and if a series is tied after the second game, a 10-minute tie breaker will determine the winner. After one 10-minute period the contest for a second round berth will be a sudden death overtime. A series will not be decided on the basis of total goals: if the teams split the two games the tie-breaker will be played. Place, Team, Record, Percentage  Remaining Games 1. Providence, 16-5, 762 2. Harvard, 15-5-1, 738 3. St. Lawrence, 14-5, 733  Feb 28, Clarkson 4. New Hampshire, 14-5-1, 725  March 1, at Northeastern 5. Clarkson, 12-6-1, 658  Feb 28, at St. Lawrence T6. RPI, 13-7, 650 T6. Boston University, 13-7, 650  March 1, at Boston College T8. Yale, 11-9, 550  March 1, Dartmouth T8. Cornell, 10-8-3, 550

As a result, Harvard lost its chance to nose out Providence, which lost to Colgate Saturday, 6-2. Instead the Crimson must settle for the second seed in the ECAC playoff, which start Friday.

The Crimson finished the ECAC regular season at 15-5-1, just behind the 16-5 Friars Harvard hosts either Boston University, RPI Clarkson or Yale-whichever team finished seventh in the overall standings-in the first round (see inset for description of the playoff picture).

Slipping to second place in the standings was the final frustration in one of Harvard's most frustration losses of the season While the Crimson outshot its hosts by a 2-1 margin it was Princeton that scored on its opportunities twice as often.

And while Dennis guarded the Tigers lead his teammates pounded dark jersey all over the ice. Not only did high scoring Scott Fusco come in for his usual punishment in the slot, but other players felt it like Rob Starbuck, whom blue liner Jerry York pummeled twice on one shift leaving the Crimson center unsteady on his skates.

son shots that inexplicably stayed out of the Tiger net. Dennis stole goals from most of the Harvard line-up at one point or another.

Among the most incredible were the saves on two point-blank Dave Burke shots at the game's midway point a stop Dennis made sliding across the goal mouth to rogb Scott Fusco early in the third period and those he made on each member of the starting line during Harvard's final man advantage of the game with about six minutes to play.

The only bright spot for the Crimson-be sides the knowledge that it would have buried almost any other goal tender under an avalanche of goals-was Captain Greg Olson's playing time. He took occasional shifts in the first two periods, almost setting up Greg Britz for a power-play goal early in the game, and took a regular shift in the third period. At Princeton, N.J. Harvard  1-0-1-2 Princeton  3-1 0-4 P. Rick Valdarch (kerth Benker. Pat Brodeur) 1.07: H. Gary Martin (Rob Starbuck, Match Oison) 5-37. P. Jim Matthews (Daniel Titus, Cliff Abrocht) 6-35. P. Matthews (Steve MacDonald, Tom Shustarich) 16.10. P. Brodeur (Benker, Tim Oshier) 16-54,. H.Scott Fusco (Shayne Kukulowicz) 6 50 Saves H. Grant Blair, 8.13-6-27, P. Ron Dennis 20 12:23-55 Att 2201.