Registration

providers of the bill that requires colleges to collect documents of students registration, but, University Director of Financial Aid Mary Murphy said, "we just don't have the resources to make up the difference."

Other school that have decided not to said non-registration include the University, of Pennsylvania, Brown University, Boston University, and the University of Kansas.

Mary school have not yet formulated a position on the new regulations and are waiting the outcome of the court case field in Minnesota by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Minnesota public interest Research Group (Minn. PIRG). The case challenges the constitutionality of the law on there courts.

The ACLU agrees that, first, the law punishes by legislation, not through the judicial process; second, the law focuses only on poor students who must apply for financial aid; and third, the law violates the constitutional guarantee of freedom against self-in-crimination because students are required to produce an acknowledgement letter from the Selective service verifying that they have registered, to obtain financial aid.

"We're not doing anything right now, we're waiting to see where the lawsuit in Minnesota goes," said Sandra Gray, assistant director of Financial Aid at Johnes Hopkins University. Officials at Princeton University, MIT, Northwestern University, New York University, Colby College and University of California at Berkeley contacted by telephone last week reported similar wait-and-see postures.

"We feel that it's a bad law, that it's discriminatory and that it places an unfair and unwanted burden of enforcement on the Universities," said Francis X. Mondragon, acting director of financial aid at Berkely. "We don't want to make the students feel that we're an extension of the federal government," he said. "That's why we're dragging our feet on the bill and waiting for the court decision."

John D. Solomon assisted with the reporting of this story.