Free College

A weekly survey of news from other campuses

A novel approach to the nation's shortage of math and science teachers has been proposed by a Maryland legislator.

State Sen. William Amoss (D-Md.) has drafted a bill that would allow students in Maryland to attend public colleges free of charge if they agree to teach math or science courses in the state's schools for at least two years after they graduate.

But some education officials and legislators say they oppose the bill because it provides for no state or federal funding. Financially strapped universities would be unable to afford to waive tuition, they said.

John Slaughter, Chancellor of the University of Maryland, said "the concept is very valuable," but said it would be impossible for the university to grant the waivers without state or federal money to replace the lost revenue.

The bill has been greeted with near-unanimous support in the Maryland State House and the chances of it or a slightly revised bill becoming law are "extremely good," said Lisa Phillips, an aide to Rep Paul Simon (D-III), the House postsecondary education subcommittee chairman. --University of Maryland Diamondback