Ivy Coaches Regulate Game Films

By Carla D. Williams

In an effort to equalize competition outside their conference, the Ivy League football coaches have decided to regulate the off-season distribution of game films to non-league opponents.

Concerned that their non-Ivy opponents were gaining a competitive edge by using game films during spring and late-summer workouts, the coaches agreed not to give non-Ivy schools films of another league member. Ivy League teams do not start practicing full-time until early September.

The decision came at the annual March meeting of Ivy coaches last week in Providence, R.I.

"We didn't want to give those schools any more of an advantage than they already have," Dartmouth Coach Joseph M. Yukica, head of the Ivy group, said yesterday. "What with spring training, freshman eligibility and other off-season training [all not permitted in the Ivies], we just wanted to make sure our filming policy was consistent with the Ivy League philosophy," he added.

Yukica refused to cite any examples, but he said that in general, the coaches were concerned that their conference colleagues would be willing to give out game films to outside opponents. The new regulation would, for example, prevent the University of Massachusetts from getting Harvard-Yale game films from Yale coaches.

Particularly during the off-season, there