Knowlton Selected For K-School Chain

Center Head Gets Five-Year Appointment

The Kennedy School yesterday named Winthrop Knowlton '53 to fill the first chair at the school newly created Business and Government Center.

Knowlton, who has directed the center since its creation in September, will fill the Luce Professorship of Ethics. Business and Public Policy, a five-year appointment.

The K-School plans to us the center to study the relationship between business and government through a special curriculum, meetings between government and business leader and research projects. Grants awarded by the Luce Foundation traditionally go to programs that combine two distinct academic fields.

Since coming to the center from Harper and Row, where he continues as chairman of the board. Knowlton has raised more than $1 million for the center from alumni and corporations.

The center's other two chairs--one in capital formation and another in public policy--have yet to he filled, but Knowlton said he expects professors to be named by next fall.

Knowlton said that he sees the center taking shape as a bridge between the public and private sectors. "Government alone cannot solve the fundamental problems that confront our country and we need the private sector for advice and research."

In additions to new curriculum offerings, the center plans to sponsor conferences between business and government officials at the federal, state and local levels, as well as attract grants for research projects on areas that affect both sectors such as regularly reform. "At the end of the rainbow, we hope to end up with better public policy decisions," he said.