Puzzling

To the Editors of The Crimson:

In reading your statement on Bloom County, I was reminded of many newspapers' decision not to run Garry Trudeau's famous "Guilty, Guilty, Guilty" Doonesbury strip. Trudeau was puzzled by this, because he in fact was poking fun not at John Mitchell, but rather at the most rabid Nixon-haters, as represented by his character Mark.

Berke Breathed must be similary confused because the humor of his February 28th strip was, if anything, less subtle than that of the Trudeau strip. Breathed's target was clearly Steve Dallas, a macho, sexist dog who is invariably shown in an unfavorable light, and not gay men. Frankly, I can't see how anyone could reasonably interpret the strip as you apparently did.

As one who has always appreciated and supported The Crimson's defense of progressive principles. I must express my disappointment in a decision which can only be called silly. It seems to me that two of the more damaging sterotypes people at Harvard hold concerning leftists are first, that they are humorless, and second, that when any oppressed group says "jump" leftists ask only "how high?" Remarkably, you have managed to confirm both of these views in a three sentence announcement.

You are in danger of becoming caricatures of youselves. Do yourselves and your readers a favor swallow your pride, admit that you screwed up, and give us back Bloom County. Guy Molyneux '83