Racquetmen Take Fourth Major Title As Five Make All-American Teams

By Carla D. Williams

It was probably the best performance in the history of the Harvard men's squash team, but it wasn't that different from several other Crimson victories this year.

It was the Intercollegiate tournament, the six-man team championship. But just like the Nationals and the dual matches against Yale and Princeton, it was all Harvard.

In the 33-team competition, 182 racquet-wielders competed in three divisions. Harvard tallied 56 points--14 1/2 ahead of the second-place Princeton squad--to capture its third straight Intercollegiate championship.

The victory completed a four-title sweep never before accomplished. Harvard has now won the Nationals, the Ivies, the Intercollegiates and the nine-man.

Not only did the squad win, but five of the six Crimson racquetmen were named to the 10-man All-American teams. David Boyum, Kenton Jernigan and Richard Jackson made the first team, while Jim Lubowitz and Co-Captain Geordie Lemmon took second-team honors.

The key to the weekend tourney was the team's Saturday performance. Shaking some first day jitters, Harvard placed all six racquetmen in semi-final play, the only team to do so in the tournament.

Freshman Jernigan and sophomore Boyum matched up in the finals of the A division just as they had two weeks ago, when Jernigan topped Boyum, 3-0, to become the National champion. This time, the duo--known to opponents as the best one-two combination in squash, went to four games, as Jernigan took the first, 18-16, Boyum won the second, 16-18, and Jernigan swept the last two, 15-11, 15-12.

Harvard showed its team flexibility throughout the contest. Jernigan met Yale Captain Victor Wagner and defeated him, 3-0, to make it to the finals. The previous weekend against the Elis, teammate Boyum had also soundly squashed Wagner, who was the A-division defending champ, showing that Boyum and Jernigan could be inter-changeable. Neither has lost a match all season, except to one another.

The big question lay in the B-division, where Jackson, who'd been out for nearly two weeks with a sprained ankle, played in the number one spot, in place of ex-teammate Brad Desaulniers.

The injured Jackson played a slot ahead of his usual position and still won the finals against Princeton's Tom Sheppard. Lemmon won the consolation round to score third-place points against Eli Hugh LaBossier, the freshman who dealt Lemmon one of the two individual-game losses in Harvard's 7-2 victory over Yale last week.

In the C-division, racquetman Lubowitz cleaned up for Harvard, downing Princeton's Richie Zabel for the third time this season, 3-0, to win the finals. Zabel cost the Crimson the Ivy title last year, when he beat Harvard's Spencer Brog to give the Tigers a 5-4 win; Lubowitz has since been paying him back. Saturday Lubowits average in the form of a 3-2 victory over Tiger Luke Evain, who plays a slot above him for Princeton. Evain later downed Crimson Co-Captain John Dinneen for third place.